Oral Surgery/Look at this

QUESTION: Hi dr Joel
Mouth feels dry and tongue feels numb. Look at the back of my tongue. What is all that? Zoom in and u can see close.

ANSWER: Steve -  It looks like, from your picture, that you are pointing out the uvula.  A normal part of the soft palate.

QUESTION: No I meant all that stuff covering tongue.

steve -  that is bacteria accumulation on the surface of the tongue.  You need to be brushing your tongue a minimum of twice a day with regular toothpaste, then rinse with Listerine for 30 seconds twice a day.  Nothing to eat or drink for 30 minutes minimum after the rinse and the tongue with improve.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC