Oral Surgery/Max size of crown on single implant?

Hello, is there a known maximum size (width x height) for a crown which can safely be put on a single ADIN implant? To clarify, I have a rather large gap left from a single tooth extraction and I want an implant installed. However, my surgeon claims that it is necessary to install 2 implants instead of 1, doubling the price. Thank you in advance.

Koyan -  Of course, without examining you I cannot be completely sure, but if after the extraction of a single tooth and the space created, usually the space used by the extracted tooth is what is usually attempted to fill with a new implant.  If the space is too large for a single tooth due to a previous extraction then two teeth can be placed via implants, but only if the bone can hold the implants without creating other problems.

So if the space of one tooth is to be filled, it should be done via one implant.  If there are other factors that you didn't mention, like pre-existing space on either side of the extracted tooth then other methods to close the space might be needed.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC