Oral Surgery/Pain on the left side of the tongue

For the past 4 months- I have been experiencing pain on the left side of the tongue. It's started with a burning sensation on the tip of the tongue then after about a week it's like it moved on the side but different kind of pain ( more like a nerve pain)
It doesn't bother me at night but about one hour after waking up and starting my routine- the pain starts as soon as I start to talk and the more I talk the more I am in pain
Also I have 3 taste buds on the back left side of the tongue that get inflamed as the day goes - they are small but then when I start the day they get inflamed and painful - I don't know if there is a relation between both issues.
I went to dentist - orthodontist and oral surgeon and no one seems to be able to help me
They gave me mouthwash to num the pain but it doesn't help

I really don't know what to do. Can you please help me
Thank you

Chantal - I, of course, cannot be sure what you are experiencing, but you are fortunate to live in a state where there are three schools of dental medicine.  At each of these schools, there is a department of oral medicine and oral pathology.  You did not say where in Florida you live, but the schools are in Gainsville, Bradenton and Ft.Lauderdale.

My suggestion is that you contact these schools and set up an appointment with the department or oral medicine or oral pathology for an evaluation.  The doctors there experience and see more patients and probably can better evaluate and determine the cause.

The schools are:

LECOM School of Dental Medicine - Bradenton - (941) 405-1600

U of Fl College of Dentistry - Gainsville- (352) 265-9900

Nova University Dental School - Ft. Lauderdale-Davie - (800)541-6682

Call any of the above and make an appointment for an evaluation by the department of Oral Medicine.

I wish you well and hope one of the above can help you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC