Oral Surgery/Re occurring white lesion on tongue

Question
Hi.
I am a 40 year old man who has suffered from a re occurring sore on the very tip of my tongue for the past 15 years.  The sore appears maybe twice per year and appears in the exact same place every time. It starts with a tingle and then progresses to a painful white spot, with no redness. The sore remains for about 20 days then heals.

I do have mouth ulcers now and a again and it is definitely not one of these

Can you advise what this may be and can it be treated?

Thank you very much

Answer
Simon - I am sure that you understand that I cannot be sure without examining the area on your tongue, but the symptoms you describe are common with a condition called apthous ulcerations.  These lesions are not dangerous or contagious.  There is a possibility that the area might be a herpes ulceration, but it sounds more like an apthous uleceration.  

There is no treatment necessary other than to reduce the soreness with an oral numbing rinse.  My suggestion is that the next time it occurs, you should have it evaluated by a local oral surgeon.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired