Oral Surgery/small fleshy bump in my mouth?

Question
Hello Dr.

I'm 29 yo female. I used to smoke but quit and now only smoke occasionally (less than 1 cigarette per day).

I've been very ill with a flu and bad sore throat for almost a week now. I checked on my tonsils and that's when I noticed a small fleshy growth near my tonsils but not on them. It's about 3mm in size or so.

Here is a picture: http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm208/samafutdinnou/gr/bump_zpsd4a3d998.jpg

I also had a sore throat last November but didn't notice this.

I'm wondering if it looks like something serious like cancer or maybe something more benign? Perhaps related to the flu? Should I wait on it or see a doctor ASAP?

Thank you so much.

Answer
Delaney - the small growth is not cancer, but it looks like a small gland blockage.  Nothing serious and not related to the flu.  You can wait a while, but if the area remains after two weeks, have it checked.  Don't worry about it.  A good idea to reduce any inflammation in that area is to begin warm salt water rinses for about one minute, 4-5 times a day.  

So don't worry, but get it checked if still present after another two weeks with the warm salt water rinses.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired