Oral Surgery/Tongue question

Hi dr Joel
Tongue marks still there on tongue. Went to many drs and none were concerned and said its tmj related. I'm not sure if I buy that. The weird thing is that it looks a lot better when I wake up but as day goes on it gets worse. When I drink coffee I get a sandpaper feeling in tongue abd it's very dry. What could this be? I was treated for fungus it wasn't that. Dr said it's more of a nuisance than anything to worry about.

Steve -  As I said in my previous response, it looks like the areas are due to the normal functioning of chewing, talking and swallowing everyday.  So during the day normal functions are what creates these minor irritations that you see on your tongue.  This is completely normal.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC