Oral Surgery/Oral cancer fear

Question
Lump tongue 1
Lump tongue 1  

Lump tongue 2
Lump tongue 2  
Hi there
I have swelling at the back of my tongue, one side only. I went to see an oral surgeon twice who laughed at me when I said I was worried about oral cancer and said it was just a tastebud and normal. Tonight I noticed a red spot on the large lump and am terrified. I have major health anxiety about oral cancer. I am a 37 year old female, ex smoker (3 months quit and still on NRT lozenges) and a recovering alcoholic(10 years sober). Are you able to tell me if these are normal anatomical structures and if so. Would a red spot indicate anything sinister?
Many thanks

Answer
Fran -  A red spot could mean just about any kind of inflammatory situation.  It is a little difficult from those pictures alone to say that the area is a problem.  From its overall appearance, it does not seem to be an area of bad pathology, but I cannot be completely sure.

So a red spot alone is not an indication of a sinister area, but without a complete exam it is a little difficult to be completely sure.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired