Oral Surgery/Not responding to antibes

I had four wisdom teeth removed in two separate surgeries, the last 3 months ago.  My lower socket in the back has not fully closed and feels infected with pus drainage which has not cleared.  We have pulsed Amox four cycles at various stages.  For one two week period midway into this it felt as if it was healing but the fullness in that area and drainage returned.  I have just completed a 7 day course of Amox with no benefit.  
I'm a nurse and fear the worst.  What is my next course of action?  My oral surgeon feels this will resolve.  I have a f/up Tues.

Veronica, antibiotics can definitely help in taking care of infections, if the cause is removed.  If not, then the area will become re-infected over and over again.  Your surgeon should be rather aggressive in discovering the cause.  The aggressive approach should be via more diagnostic exams.  Those exams might involve a CT scan.  If your surgeon cannot come up with a reason for the infection lasting, I suggest that you seek a second opinion from a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon elsewhere.  A second opinion is not saying anything bad about your surgeon, but sometimes we all need a different perspective on the same issue.

I wish you well and hope the cause can be determined soon and the infection cured.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC