Oral Surgery/wisdom tooth removal

I have a really bad wisdom tooth that has decayed to the gum line. It resembles a bowl. The insides have worn away on the tooth. My other three wisdom teeth are just as bad. I'm afraid of the dentist. I'm worried they will really hurt me and the needle in the mouth isn't a favorite part either. How much will this hurt and about how long will it take? What can I do to help with the pain while I wait on my appointment?  It hurts horribly.

If it matters I'm 30 and a female. Thank you again

Fraidycat -  it is a little difficult for me to tell you how much pain and discomfort you might have after and during the extraction of your wisdom teeth.  The amount of discomfort from extractions is based on the shape of the roots, how brittle the roots are, are the nerves in the teeth exposed by the decay and how dense in your bone.  If too dense, the bone will fight to release the tooth.

To help the pain, using aspirin or ibuprofen should reduce the pain to some degree.  Warm salt water rinses can help to soothe the area of the teeth.  

Age 30 is a good age to undergo an extraction.  At age 30 your bone is not overly dense and should allow the release of the teeth.  Probably the best chance of reducing any pain associated with those wisdom teeth is to go to a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon for the extractions.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC