Oral Surgery/Green spot on gum after molar extraction

Hello Dr. Teig,

3 days ago I had a molar in my lower jaw extracted. it was a very challenging extraction, there wasn't much left of the molar, so i had to go to a dental surgeon in the hospital. The roots were very curved so quite some bone had to be removed, in order to extract everything. The surgeon put stitches in after everything was removed.

I have the feeling that it's healing quite well. there is this whitish tissue on top of the extraction side now. I have only a little bit of pain, manageable with painkillers. But on the extraction site I also see green spot of about 3 square mm. It really looks like a piece of parsley or other herb that I have been eating. But if I rinse very carefully it doesn't go away. I'm afraid to pick at it with a toothpick or so because i don't want to disturb the healing process or dislodge the blood clod.

So I am wondering what it is. Can it be food stuck in the healing tissue?  It seems to be lying on top of the tissue. Can it be the blood clod that has a bit of a weird colour like that?  What do you suggest I'd do?

Remrov - It is a little difficult for me to tell you what the green area is.  It could be food debris stuck in the area. But it also could be an accumulation of bacteria and fungus cells.  The important thing is that no matter what it is, it is important to keep the area clean.  You should begin warm salt water rinses in that area for about 2-3 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  That should resolve cleaning that area.  Don't stop till it is gone.  If it doesn't get better within 5 days, you should see the surgeon to clean the area.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC