Oral Surgery/Oral Surgery and Piercing

Hello! I have braces and have spoken to a very experienced piercer about getting a philtrum (middle upper lip) piercing with very small jewelry where it will not interfere with my braces. I am scheduled to have two impacted canine teeth extracted, will i have to remove this piercing during my surgery or will i have the option to keep the jewelry in?

Cheyenne - I cannot be completely sure without examining you, but there really should be no problem  with the pierced small jewelry in your lip.  The only possible problem would be if the doctor needs to stretch your lip excessively to gain access to the impacted teeth.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC