Oral Surgery/What does it look like to you

QUESTION: All I would like to know is what it looks like to you. The redness is basically gone when I wake up and barely visible.

ANSWER: Habitual irritation.  You have a habit that irritates your tongue.

Taste buds
Taste buds  

Taste buds
Taste buds  
QUESTION: One thing I don't understand is why these taste buds stick out sometimes? I'm not sure if they are irritated or not but I can see them.

Like any sensory gland in the body, it goes through periods of increased and lower stress.  During the increased stressful times, the body reacts with increased blood flow along with inflammatory reactions.  The combination can produce an enlargement of glands and glandular ductal tissue.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC