Oral Surgery/Tmj


QUESTION: Yes I definitely have a tmj issue. The clicking and crepitus can be heard and when I stretch out mouth like a forceful smile I can feel the pain and radiates into ear. I'm thinking that's the root of all the issues.

ANSWER: May very well be.  So you need to find a skilled dentist to quiet your TMJ situation.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: I've been around. Not much you can do for tmj really. Surgery isn't an option because it's not debilitating. I guess I'll try physical therapy.

If you find a skilled TMJ only doctor it can definitely be treated.  As I have told you previously, you should seek a TMJ specialist at a dental school.  That is where specialists dwell and help patients.  They see more patients with your situation and that is the best way to help you.

Oral Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.