Oral Surgery/Circumvallate papillae

Question
Skald
Skald  

Kskdmsm
Kskdmsm  
Hi dr Joel,
Is this big red bump my circumvallate papillae? Could it be a fibroma? It doesn't hurt but it's always there and doesn't look like the other side. What do u think it is? Also why is the skin a different color in front of it almost like hairless?

Answer
It does look like a circumvallate Padilla.  They are usually not equal from side to side. Because it sticks above the level of the tonguesurface, the natural rubbing of swallowing cleans the surface making it nude. Both sides are not equal because the swallowing forces are not Maharaja.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired