Oral Surgery/dental implants with retained baby tooth

Hi, I have a baby upper canine with the retained tooth visible in the xrays. My dentist said i would need removal soon and then asked if i wanted invisalign to correct my teeth crowding (which is minor) She quoted the extract and single implant to be likely 8-10,000 dollars.  
I'm just wondering if this is a reasonable price for an extraction and single implant? I don't have any other teeth issues other than previous fillings on a few molars which are in good shape.

She also quoted invisalign for 7200 and said i can do that first but i'm wondering if the baby tooth will just pop out while the invisalign is in progress? She then said if it does than i'll save myself an extraction.  It seems as if this would complicate the process.  What is your opinion on this?

Hi Shirley, Thank you for your question. It is really hard to discuss pricing. First and foremost it is entirely impossible to determine what needs to be done and the complexity without a clinical exam and radiographic interpertation. Pricing structures are based on lots of factors. It is entirely inappropriate to discuss fees in this format and your questions should be based on problems and focused to solutions.  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Ryan's expertise is in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Specifically, Dr. Ryan is an expert in Orthognathic Surgery. He holds uniques experience as the former Assistant Program Director of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Training Program at Washington Hospital Center where he trained residents to perform these complicated surgical procedures. Additionally, Dr. Ryan also has a tremendous amount of experience in reconstruction of the maxillofacial skeleton related to trauma and tooth loss. Dr. Ryan is an expert in 3 dimensional treatment planning for Orthognathic Surgery, Dental Implant Surgery and Wisdom Teeth removal. To learn more about Dr. Ryan, his full profile can be seen at

Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with current hospital affiliations at: Washington Hospital Center Holy Cross Germantown Hospital National Institute of Health/NIDCR

American Dental Association. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Dental Society. American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Health Volunteers Overseas.

Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Journal of The American Dental Association

S.U.N.Y @ Stony Brook- B.S. in Biochemistry, Stony Brook, NY. Northeastern University- M.S. in Perfusion Technology, Boston, MA. D.D.S.- New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY. Certificate and Chief Resident- Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC. Clinical Fellow- The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD.

Dr. Ryan has received numerous awards including: 2006 American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Dental Student Award, Washington Hospital Center 2008 Nurses' Choice Physician Collaboration Award, 2009 Resident Research Summit Scholarship Award, and the 2011 Outstanding Surgical Attending in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Washington Hospital Center. He has also authored/coauthored and published several journal articles and held several teaching positions,including assistant professor, while at NYUCD.