Oral Surgery/Sinusitis or Upper Molar infection?

Question
Hello,

I have chronic sinusitis and just had a large cavity in my last upper back molar tooth (Left side) filled two days ago. I was told it will need to be extracted or "root canalled". The dentist said the root was bleeding when she drilled into it. I am on Amoxicillin 500 mg, 3 times a day, until my regular doctor returns on Monday.

Tonight, my left cheek is very red (this is not uncommon for me to have red, hot cheek(s) due to my sinusitis). I have no swelling on my gums.

If my upper back molar was abscessing, would I have swelling in my gums, or would it affect my maxillary sinus directly? I am trying to differentiate between a sinus infection, and an immediate dental abscess from this bad tooth.

Can it wait until Monday to be extracted? What signs would I be having if I need an emergency extraction? Thank you,

Chris

Answer
Hello Chris,

I hope you did well over the weekend. In these kind of situations, it is better to have the tooth removed as soon as possible to avoid severe infections. I think the the red/hot cheek might be from the tooth, since sometimes the root of the teeth are located in the sinuses.

Good luck,
Dr. J

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery