Oral Surgery/gum mass

Question
gum mass
gum mass  
Dear Dr. Teig,

I have this gum mass (diameter is around 1cm,has a clear border, hard) on my upper gum for several years now. It is getting bigger slowly. Now I can see blood vessel grow over it. I took a X-Ray 2 years ago. The dentist told me that it is nothing bad. The mass might be due to irritation, which he referred to two implant teeth that was done almost 20 years ago due to a car accident. Also at that time, the dentists got some tissue from my palate to fill the empty gum space.

My question is 1). Is it possible be a tumor? 2) can you recommend some good dentist for me to see around los angles area?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Mary

Answer
Mary - First of all, the area does not look like a tumor.  It is pink, though lighter, than the surrounding tissues.  I do not personally know a dentist in your area. My suggestion is for you to see Dr. Earl Freymiller.  He is the chairman of oral and maxillofacial surgery at the University of Californa in Los Angeles.  Call (310) 825-3685 and aask them to make and appointment with Dr. Freymiller.  This is the residency and they usually have you examined by a resident first, but ask to be examined by Dr. Freymiller.  

I wish you well and hope they help you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired