You are here:

Oral Surgery/Maxillofacial Surgery Reversal


QUESTION: I've had corrective jaw surgery 10 years ago. The surgery that was supposed to make a positive improvement that no one would notice.  Well the surgery changed my face so much that no one recognizes me.  My family has disowned me because I donít look like myself or have the family characteristics anymore.  I avoid looking at my reflection in the mirror because it looks like someone else.  Had I known this would be the outcome of the surgery I would have never agreed to go through with it.  It has sent me to a personal hell!
Is there a qualified surgeon that would agree to help change me back closer to the way I used to look?
Please help!

ANSWER: Aida - I'm sure there are surgeons who might try to help you regain what you lost 10 years ago. The main problem that these surgeons would tell you is that you have aged and you cannot be who you were then.  The doctor could make changes that you and he discuss, but do not think such a doctor can bring you back to what you were.  

Now the important thing for you to do is to find a skilled board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon that can speak with you and help you.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Could you recommend a surgeon that specializes not only in maxillofacial surgery but in repairing work done by a previous surgeon?

ANSWER: Aida - I think that you are in Alaska.  Will you only stay in Alaska or are there other areas that you might be willing to see a surgeon?

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: I am willing to travel.

Aida -  One of the places where I can recommend is New York Center for Orthognathic and Maxillofacial
Surgery.  There are a number of qualified surgeons there, I would suggest that you request and evaluation by Dr. Stephen Sachs.  Their number is:   212.308.9200

Dr. Daniel Levin in Huntington Beach, California -  (714) 842-2521

Dr. Eugene Keller - at the Mayo Clinic -(707) 538-3270

These are all highly skilled doctors and should be able to evaluate your situation and help correct what you are not comfortable with.  

Oral Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC

©2017 All rights reserved.