Oral Surgery/RE:

Question
new pic of tongue
new pic of tongue  
QUESTION: Dr Teig- here is an updated photo of the lesion

Thanks

Jason

ANSWER: Jason - That lesion definitely looks like it comes from some type of irritation.  It does not look dangerous and it should heal with the stimulous removed.

QUESTION: Thanks Dr Teig - I'm hoping that smoothing the tooth out and removing the irritants will help. Appreciate you getting back to me so quickly!  have a good evening

Jason

ANSWER: Jason -  I wish you well and hope the areas heals completely.

QUESTION: Hi Dr Teig-  Had one last question if thats ok.  For some reason the region where i have the irritation keeps developing very tiny little cuts.  i had my teeth smoothed down a bit so not sure if its from biting.  i feel like eating seems to cause them. they are extremely small but very painful and only come back in that irritated area.  Any idea why they keep coming back? i really want the area to heal but if it keeps getting irritated with these tiny sores then it wont.  I would appreciate your input. thanks again

Jason

Answer
Jason - there is a reason that I have tried to answer your questions as best I can.  The main reason is that my tongue looks like and seems to feel similar to yours.  Mine is normal and from your pictures and descriptions of what you have, it also seems normal.  They occur mostly from friction.  That friction does not have to between two rough surfaces, but it can occur from smoother surfaces.  Think of this.  If you were to rub your hands against each other and don't stop you would develop redness of those hands and because the skin is thicker than oral mucosa it does not appear the same way.

So relax.  You have irritated tissues and not pathologic.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired