Oral Surgery/wisdom tooth removed

I was referred to an oral surgeon yesterday because I need a wisdom tooth extradition. After the Cray the oral surgeon told me this can't be done anywhere but in a hospital.I also have COPD that's needs to be monitored during the surgery. The reason it has to be done in operating room is because there is a nerve attached to the wisdom tooth and there ok s a high risk the nerve will need to be repaired right away to avoid paralysis. What can I expect will happen while being in the hospital for all this

Gwen - Without seeing the xray of the tooth, it is a little difficult for me to see the relationship of the tooth and the nerve.  First of all, the nerve you are speaking of is the mandibular nerve.  If it is injured, paralysis will not occur, but there will be a numbness.  If cut, the nerve will need to be reconnected surgically, but still numbness will occur for a while until healing occurs.

The doctor will most likely attempt to extract the tooth without causing any damage to the nerve associated with the tooth.  If he is careful, injury to the nerve might not occur.  So hopefully that happens.  If injured, the nerve will not cause paralysis, but only numbness.  If they immediately repair the injured nerve. healing should occur, but you will still be numb for a few months at a minimum.

So hopefully the nerve is not injured and the tooth is removed without any problems.  if you haver additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC