Oral Surgery/Implant bone graft

Question
It has been 10 days since I received a bone graft for an implant, in the space directly next to my left front tooth.  My concern is that the dentist applied too much bone, as there is a visible bump when I smile.  Can I expect this to settle down, or will I need to have it surgically corrected?  When I asked him he said that it will settle down some, but it is like that because he put bone in it.  Which I understand, however, it looks as though I have a  small piece of cotton under my top lip.  Any insight will be great.

Answer
Anna -  If the dentist inserted an excess amount of bone in the location for a dental implant, it should be reduced.  If left the way it is, it stretches the overlying gum tissue which can weaken it.  So if the doctor is hesitant, make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate the area.  Hopefully is it only slightly stretched, but if excessive it can produce problems.  If the stretch is not too great, but the surface is irregular the area can be smooth at the time of the implant is inserted, but only by a skilled board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  Occasionally this stretched and irregular tissue can break down and leave holes in the tissue, exposing the healing graft bone - not good.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired