Oral Surgery/Importance of pre-surgical bite registration

Dear Dr. Jamali, I am a candidate for oral surgery. I am curious to find out what is the importance of the pre-surgical bite registration and how this will be used in making the surgical splint and surgical planning via computer modeling. It seems that I have a dual bite and I would like to understand more about this and how this dual bite (choosing one type of bite over the another type of bite) will affect the mock surgery, surgical planning and surgical splint. What does the bite registration produce or how is it important in ultimately helping a surgeon with the surgery. What is the role of the orthodontist in taking a proper bite registration before surgery? Thank you in advance for your kindness. Aura Daraba

Dear Aura,
Bite registration is important because it relates your maxilla and your TMJ and your lower teeth to your upper. If you're jaw is small, probably centric relation bite is the best to get the most advancement of the jaw. You might want to get a second opinion regarding your "dual bite". The best bite can be only considered clinically.
Good luck

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Full scope Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthognathic Surgery, Genioplasty and Anesthesiology I have completed an additional two years of fellowships in orthognathic surgery and anesthesiology field.

Faculty at numerous hospitals

New York Dental Society Journal

Tufts University: Dental School SUNY Down-State Medical Center: OMFS residency Robertwood Johnson Medical Center: Anesthesiology fellowship Lenox Hill hospital: Orthognathic fellowship