Oral Surgery/Tongie

Question
Yellpwgross
Yellpwgross  
Isn't an oral maxillofacial dr certified in oral pathology? If so, I've seen him numerous times along w dentist ent and primary. It's gotta be something. I just don't get this weird feeling in roof of mouth and have inflammation and for it to be called normal doesn't sound right to me. It could be something minor but I can't get it figured out. I just ate dinner an hour ago but this still doesn't look normal to me. Take a look. I also get bite marks in my cheek all the time too. It could be bc I'm missing a lower molar on one side.

Answer
Syeve -  Oral and maxillofacial surgeons are highly trained in pathology, we are not pathologists.  We study the surgical approach, yet pathologists are knowledgeable in diagnosis and determining the cause of pathological lesions or areas.  

As far as your picture, there is no sign of inflammation or pathology.  What I do see is an accumulation of debris and bacteria on the tongue surface, producing a browning of the surface cells.  You heed to keep your tongue dorsal surface cleaner with a gentle brushing with tooth brush ad toothpaste.  That will clean it up.  but there were no pictures of pathology.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired