Oral Surgery/Dental fistula

Question
I had a left upper fistula 2 years ago on a tooth that had a root canal. It was remove. Since then I have facial numbness on my left cheek , my left sinus and below the left eye.And don't really feel good. Can they still be a low grade infection inside the bone or could it have damage a nerve or my sinus? Nothing is showing up on a dentist scan.How much complication can a fistula do? Thank you.

Answer
Dan - of course I cannot be sure without examining you. A simple cause of the numbness could be the the numbing injection by dentist before the extraction.  So a simple injection or a minor infection in the area is enough to cause the numbness.  If there is a fistula, then there is a continuation of an infections the cause.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired