Oral Surgery/Sinus perforation

Question
Hi. I had two root-canaled teeth extracted 2 weeks ago which resulted in sinus perforation on both sides. OS closed both (the right side twice) needed to shave bone too. I was on Amoxicillin 500 for 2 weeks, I was told yesterday that the right side is still open, stitches are left in for another 4 days, little bit infected but was not given more antibiotics 'for now'. My immune system is not the best (Ramsay Hunt Syndrome a year ago).
Shouldn't people with sinus opening stay on antibiotics until 1. It closes 2. At least until the stitches are out? All infection goes straight to the sinus now doesn't it? It could lead to a lingering problem? I'm sorry I'm desperate and considering self - medication with Metronidazole 200 3x1 for 7 days.
In your opinion is it ok / dangerous to stop antibiotics at this stage?
Thank you so much.

Answer
Noemi - If there is a continued perforation to the sinus, it is important to keep the patient on antibiotics until the hole is closed.  It is dangerous to stop and that may allow bacteria to grow in your sinus producing a severe infection.  You doctor should keep you on antibiotics until the hole is closed.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired