Oral Surgery/wisdom tooth

I have one partially bony wisdom tooth that needs to come out asap. I visited a dentist who confined the fact, and thought he could do it himself. We set up a time to have it extracted next week, but I'm nervous and am wondering if that type of extraction would be better suited for an oral surgeon, rather than a standard dentist? I don't have dental insurance so I don't want to risk something going wrong, and then having to pay an oral surgeon to fix it later.

Jared -  If the wisdom tooth, even though it is a partially impacted tooth, is not always difficult to extract.  If the roots of the teeth are straight and enough of the tooth can be held on to, the extraction can be done by a general dentist.  If the tooth has curved roots or the crown of the tooth cannot be grabbed, then the extraction may be beyond his abilities.

So if you wish to make sure that the tooth is extracted with a minimal amount of damage to the tooth and the surrounding tissues, then have an oral and maxillofacial surgeon do the extraction.  If the dentist is skilled and has trained in a hospital after dental school, then he might be more talented.  I wish I could give you a more exacting answer, but if you want to make sure of no problems, see the surgeon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC