Oral Surgery/3 piece Lefort I

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr. Teig,

I am a 47 y.o. female and I was recommended to have a 3-piece Lefort I due to my upper jaw narrowness. I am curios to find out if my age could be an impediment for this type of surgery or I should worry more about the surgeon's skills in performing such a procedure on me? I have to mention that I usually heal good and fast and my jaw bones are healthy without any bone loss.
Thank you.

ANSWER: Alora -  First let me tell you that age should not be an important factor in determining the potential success of a LeFort I osteotomy.  The knowledge and skill of the surgeon is key.  The surgeon must be a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If the surgeon is experienced and skilled the expansion of the maxilla should predicatable.  So it should go well if the surgeon is board certified and you do not exert excess forces until the doctor says the maxilla has healed.

I wish you well.  If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

QUESTION: Dear Dr. Teig, do you have any office where I can come so that you can evaluate me? I do not mind to pay out-of -pocket. It is very important for me to be seen by an expert like you. Please be kind and let me know. Thank you very much!

Answer
Alora -  I would have been more than happy to evaluate you, but I am retired and no longer even examine patients.  If you wish, you can tell me where you live and I can tell you the names of doctors near you who are board certified and skilled to examine you.

So if you wish, get back to me, let me know where you live and I will send you names of board certified doctors near you to examine you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired