Oral Surgery/Growths in throat pain when swallowing

Hi. I am 51 yr old female, obese. Long term health problems from debilitating rear end coll 10 yrs ago. I also am a former smoker (quit 14 yrs) non drinker. I have had an extreme gain of weight about 2 yrs ago. I have been dx with GERD, esophagus spasms, IBS, post menopausal bleeding, one occasion of vomiting blood, blood in poo (dark and red) all the time, stomach severely distended. Maternal family history of Uterine cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer. 4 months of what appears to be growths on tonsils, lesions on back of tongue, growths (look like acne) on uvela, tongue, and back behind tonsils on back of esophagus. Several different sizes. I cannot hardly swallow due to the pain and have altered what I eat because of that. There looks like some white streaks combined with red capillary-looking streaks around back of soft palate. Family doc just doesnt take it serious. I had a swallow study done which showed severe narrowing of esophagus down lower and some reflux. To me, I am concerned of cancer. Thoughts? (sorry, I know it's a lot).

Shirley- without directly examining you I cannot be completely sure, but, like you, I have GERD. The acid from the stomach leaks into the esophagus and with GERD there is an ex less amount of acid that goes upwards beyond the esophagus into the pharynx and I to your mouth.  The stomach a acid is very strong and can cause lacerations and irritation lesions  in your mouth, your tongue, the roof of your mouth an d even your gums.  Your doctor needs to prescribe medication to calm down the stomach acid and decrease the amount.  If you are not seeing a gastroenterologist you need to be examined and treated by one before simple irritation from the excess acid produces dangerous lesions in your mouth.  So make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. Ttfm

I know this suggestion because I too have GERD.  So find a gastroenterologist to help you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC