Oral Surgery/Herbst Appliance

Question
My daughter has just gotten her herbst appliance on and it is putting her in a lot of pain and she can't eat anything. she has a bad overbite which is why they put the herbst on her. but I don't know if I want her to keep it on. she will have it for less than a year and I don't really understand if it's necessary. if I have her orthodontist take it off this week what will happen down the road with her overbite and jaw? will she have to get surgery? Help!

Answer
I'm afraid that I've to refer you to visit the doctor in charge, as I don't know your daughters case and background. If she stop using this appliance and don't get offered an alternative option then, yes most lolly she will have her overbite which can possibly exaggerate considering the growth of her jaws in relation to each other

/ Reza

Oral Surgery

Dr. Reza Parsa DDS, MSc.