Oral Surgery/MMA Surgery

Question
QUESTION: If you lived in NYC and had sleep apnea who would you go to see for MMA surgery??  2) Should I be evaluated by an orthodontist first or an oral surgeon?  How do I get the ball rolling? Thank you so much

ANSWER: James -  MMA surgery is not done by many oral and maxillofacial surgeons, but the following doctor I found in New York City is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgery who has treated a significant number of patients with sleep apnea.  His treatments have included MMA.

Majid Jamali, DMD - (646) 762-7498

If the doctor feels after examining you that orthodontics will help to promote bone healing he will refer you to an orthodontist skilled in a  necessary approach.  Not all orthodontists are trained in preparing for surgery.

I wish you well.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

QUESTION: "MMA surgery is not done by many oral and maxillofacial surgeons"   
Who then does this type of surgery?  I thought Oral surgeons were all trained in jaw surgery?  There are hundreds of dual degree MD/DDS surgeons in NY whose websites state that they perform orthognathic surgery but is that different than MMA surgery?   Thanks

Answer
James - The surgical techniques for this surgery is performed by many oral and maxillofacial surgeon. MMA is not done by many because the results of the surgery are not always consistant with the presurgical expectations.  All surgeons are trained, but only a doctor skilled in sleep apnea can completely perform a procedure like this because the planning is technical.  Moving the jaws forward is known to be the solution to sleep apnea, but the amount can be difficult to determine.  That is why only those surgeons who deal with this problem can produce a consistent result.

So seeing a doctor who has performed these surgeries is the best one to see.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired