Oral Surgery/More pics

QUESTION: Here is today after supper. It's not as noticeable in morning but gets redder and more pronounced as day goes on. I can feel the grainy texture that's how I know. Maybe the papillae are elongated and that's what's causing this? First pic u can see the cracks. Second pic is back of tongue.

ANSWER: Steve - You have to stop checking out your tongue all the time.  There is nothing wrong!!  Leave it alone.

QUESTION: I'm not making this up. You can see the pics. This definitely does not look normal. It certainly doesn't feel normal either. It feels like sandpaper and it's very grainy rough feeling.

Steve -  You live in Rhode Island.  In Boston there is Mass General Hospital.  That hospital has a wonderful oral and maxillofacial surgical residency.  I suggest, for you peace, you should make an appointment there.  The doctors there are highly skilled and should be able to evaluate you in person.  I hope that gives you an answer that will make you comfortable.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC