Oral Surgery/Red spots??

QUESTION: Hi dr Joel
What are these random red spots that keep showing up on my tongue? They don't hurt. Is this concerning?

ANSWER: Steve -  the red spots are from a loss of the surface cells due to minor irritation trauma.  A very common and normal response to minor irritation.  Nothing to worry about.

QUESTION: Just a random question but could those spots have anything to do w my sugar level? I had that tested in January and it was normal.

ANSWER: Steve - blood sugar levels will have no effect unless you are having a diabetic reaction secondary to an extremely low blood sugar and you are biting your tongue.  If you are diabetic then low blood sugars.  If not, have your blood sugar tested as a possible cause.

QUESTION: I had it tested in January. It was normal. A1c was 5.6 and glucose 84

Steve -  so the red areas are just from irritation, probably a grinding or chewing habit that irritates the tongue. I have told you this so many times, but you need to leave your tongue alone.  It looks healthy, but repeated searching for problems accentuates nervousness to produce irritations on the tongue and elsewhere in your mouth from nervous habits.

If you have a difficult time relaxing, it might be a good idea to speak with a psychotherapist.

If you can't open up to a therapist, have them contact me and I'll be happy to converse with the therapist to explain objectively.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC