Oral Surgery/Apicoectomy before travel?

After a fall, two crowns, and a root canal, I now have a very small fistula and very minor swelling (almost unnoticeable) above where I had my root canal (#8). I recently saw my endodontist and he referred me to an oral surgeon, who I have an appointment with in about a week regarding an apicoectomy or possible tooth extraction/dental implant. My concern is this: I was not able to get a consultation appointment with the oral surgeon until the day before I leave for a week long trip in Peru, where I will be in very high altitude (9000ft-11200ft). The small fistula has been there for a while and has only caused very minor discomfort, but I'm getting worried that the altitude may effect that. Is it possible that it will get worse due to altitude changes and should I be pursuing a procedure right before I leave? I'm hoping that tiny fistulas such as this are not easily effected, but I really would like to know if there is anything I need to be doing to prevent further infection.

Alice it is a little difficult for me to tell you if there might be a problem for you on vacation.  My suggestion to increase the chance that no problem develops on your vacation is to have either the endodontist or oral surgeon give you a prescription for an antibiotic. To better insure nothing goes wrong, I also suggest that you begin a regimen of warm salt water rinse, 4-5 times a day for 2-3 minutes each time.  

I hope you will have a great vacation.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC