Oral Surgery/Note the differences

Hi dr Joel
As I'm going through all of my pictures new and old I'm noticing a trend. This one patch keeps losing its papillae and then it looks like it gets better only to go back to losing it again. Then it turns deeper red and eventually goes to pink and then back to red. It has never been this red but today it wasn't as red as yesterday. Take a look at what I'm trying to explain. The first picture is from July 27. The second is a few days ago. Notice the other little bald patch in back of tongue. Looks and sounds geographic doesn't it? Is there a chance of squamous or not likely? I've read that squamous rarely appears on dorsum. Thanks.

Steve-  Your tongue does not display any areas of geographic tongue.  It looks normal.  Almost everyone has episodes of losing area of papillae on their tongue.  Those areas can be due to minor irritation from just eating or they can be from a rubbing that occurs during  chewing, swallowing or talking.

You do not have squamous cell problems at all.  Leave it.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC