Oral Surgery/Questions about NCR

Question
QUESTION: As you might know NCR stands for NeuroCranial Restructuring. Now I realize this is a debateable topic that may or may not have to deal with oral health so much as facial estetics. However I assume since plastic surgeons deal mainly with soft tissues or implants not so much with positioning of the jaw, mouth and bone growth.

I have been reading up on NCR and having issues on finding information. If you dabble with this or know any info like what are the methods used? Surgery, or a device that shifts bone slowly? Which one works better?

I've heard that the device does not so much work that if you stop using it your face will collapse back to original position?

Mouth breathing is a problem and NCR tries to correct this issue. what other methods can be used to manipulate the solenoid shorten the midface and nose, and bring forth a retracted weak mandible, midface, weak to no cheek bones and tired to droopy eyes.

I would assume since improper breathing and eating habits caused this something I can do to help me out.

ANSWER: Audra- every knowledgeable oral and maxillofacial surgeon knows that many factors affect the growth of the jaw.  Simple breathing habits, tongue thrusts when swallowing and facial habits, such as squinting can alter facial and jaw structure. Mouth breathing is often caused by chronic nasal blockage and tonsil inflammation. Once these causes occur, there can be facial and jaw bone changes producing mouth breathing only.  This change can cause secondary jaw changes producing additional nasal changes producing secondary weak jaw changes.

NCR is a slow unpredictable attempt to affect jaw position and size to correct mouth breathing and sleep apnea.  I am not in favor of a slow unpredictable procedure to change the size of the mandible.  If the upper or lower law is determined to be the cause of respiratory problems, a definitive surgical procedure on either or both jaws can create stability and allow for more normal function.  Sleep apnea is predictably  treated with the jaw surgeries.  NPR's results of treatment has an unpredictable result.

QUESTION: Ok so surgeries are considered a safer alternative that can give a more or less better degree of satisfaction and facial esthetic direction.

What if someone, such as my self has a mix between years of chronic mouth breathing and normal and relaxed closed mouth positions. (Think colds,and allergies which were seasonal, or bad/stale air)

Enough to warp the nose bridge, tuck the chin and lengthen the mid face and forgo the cheek bones. It is too mild to be coined "long face" since I do not have a gummy smile, but it still cosmetically effects the face. What seems to be a good option to fix that?

Cosmetic surgery I realize would be a go to option, but I find this to be a hole between cosmetic dentistry and general surgery. Where it only fixes the symptom or improves the situation but not fixing the actual issue.

Answer
Audra -  Changing the jaw positions and size surgically is not done primarily for cosmetic results.  Most are done to enhance function to reduce the chances or cure situations like and open bite with mouth breathing to create a situation where a seal occurs during normal jaw function.  This change to normalcy improves the situation and often completely cures sleep apnea, swallowing difficulty and bite stability.  Facial changes can occur secondary to jaw positioning and most provide normal facial dimensions and often improved appearance.

These corrections are neither cosmetic dentistry nor general surgery.  They are procedures performed by only skilled oral and maxillofacial surgeons who are trained, not specifically in changing facial appearance, but creating a bony and facial soft tissue balance that produces a more normal function and secondarily, there is often an change in appearance that is appreciated by the patient and their familyl

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired