Oral Surgery/Tongue

Hi dr Joel
I was seen by my ent today. He thought it was from
Me unequivocally rubbing the area against teeth. I asked him about biopsy and he said it was not necessary. He even said "do u think I would risk my career and not biopsy the area if I thought it was necessary?" I thought that was reassuring. However it still doesn't help me fix the issue. I don't even realize that I'm doing it so it's nearly impossible for me to fix. Also certain foods and drinks bother it as it gets redder during day. For example I woke up this morning and it looked pretty good. If i were to do this during sleep wouldn't u think it would be worse in mornings? Look at pic from this morning to now.

Steve-  Due to the TMJ development and subsequent irritations on your tongue, I suggest that you make an appointment with a knowledgeable dentist or prosthodontist to balance your bite.  A properly balanced bite with greatly reduce grinding of the teeth and probably a potential cause of your areas of irritation.

I suggest that you see a specialist in prosthodontics or periodontics to check you bite and balance it.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC