Oral Surgery/Tooth extraction surgical (molar #31) 48 hours

Question
Large view
Large view  

Close view
Close view  
Hello Dr. Tieg,

I saw an emergency dentist on Saturday for a broken crown that also cracked the tooth. The x-ray showed a small abscess at the root of the tooth and I asked for the extraction because the tooth has given me problems for years now. The dentist did need to remove the rest of the crown and split the tooth into two pieces in order to extract it so they considered it a surgical extraction.

I'm concerned that I have a dry socket due to the fact that the pain has increased (maybe 4/10) since the extraction. The first two days was mostly just my jaw being sore from the procedure but now the pain is at the site of the tooth.

I followed my post op instructions and I quit smoking 4 months ago so no cigarettes or straws. No mouthwash, and I've only brushed my other teeth with water so far. I did very gently swirl some Biotene oral rinse last night but that has no alcohol. I haven't been doing salt water rinses because I was scared I would dislodge the clot but I had a large mug of chicken broth both the day of the procedure and yesterday.

This dentist is an hour and a half away and has limited hours because he's an emergency dentist and patients are "first come, first serve." So I was hoping for an expert opinion before I drove all the way back to his office.

Thanks very much for your time,
Lori P.

Answer
Lori-it is, of course, a little difficult for to completely diagnose what you are going through, but let me try by asking a few questions.

Is the are of the extraction throbbing or just an intensive ache?  Has the pain increased a couple of days after the extraction?  Do you have a bad taste in your mouth?  Do you have bad breath?

Try to answer those questions and hopefully I can come up with a diagnosis and solution.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired