Oral Surgery/Wisdom Teeth Extraction Surgery

Question
XRAY
XRAY  

Procedure/Costs
Procedure/Costs  
Is intravenous sedation with local anesthesia necessarily the best method of sedation for me?

I have attached photos of my insurance/cost summary and X-ray for reference if helpful.

I am 20 years old, and my wisdom teeth have been coming in for a long time. Three of four are fully exposed as you can see, with one coming in sideways (dummy). My orthodontist recently referred me to an in-house oral surgeon to get 3/4 of them extracted, as there's simply no room for them in my mouth. The fourth (lower left on X-ray) I am keeping. The default level of sedation is Intravenous Sedation with local anesthesia.

My concerns are whether the degree of sedation is necessary, and how much risk is associated with that kind of sedation/anesthesia relative to others. If less sedation would be less risky and maybe even cheaper, I would like to examine that option further.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort in providing me free advice. I cannot even begin to express my level of appreciation for what you do.

Answer
Hello,

You do not need sedation if you are not anxious.  I usually offer it to patients because is so much more pleasant. You will not feel the shots and wake up and everything is done. If dental shots do not cause you stress, then could have only local anesthesia

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery