Oral Surgery/black tongue

How do i get rid of a black tongue

Cheryl - black tongue is usually not dangerous, but it is an accumulation of debris on the surface of the cells on the surface.  Usually black tongue can be reversed by being sure to brush your teeth and your tongue at least twice a day with toothpaste.  In addition, I suggest that you rinse and gargle with Listerine for 30 seconds twice a day.  It should resolve within a week if you are sure to clean it properly.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC