Oral Surgery/Cracked root

Question
I got a root canal earlier this summer and went to a dentist to get a crown. To prepare for the crown he inserted a screw.  I was then instructed to wait two weeks then then have the crown installed. The tooth hurt the entire two weeks. I went in to get the crown and told the dentist of the pain and he did an x-ray and saw that the root had been cracked by the screw.  He says that I now need to get the tooth extracted and either get an implant or a three tooth bridge. He said he would pay for the extraction which seems like an admission that he made a mistake. He also said he would install a three tooth bridge for free.

Two questions: should he have to pay for an implant if I choose to go that way? Second which is better an implant or a bridge?

Answer
Taury -  First of all, both implants and a three unit bridge.  The key factor on which is best is the quality of the dentist and his knowledge.  Neither replacement technique is good, but I question the dentist's ability after screwing into the tooth hard enough to fracture the tooth.  

You didn't say which tooth was damaged.  I also need to know about the teeth surrounding the fractured tooth.  If you can, send me a picture and xray picture of the teeth.  With that information I should be able to give you a better answer to which procedure is best for you.  

One last thing, the dentist should also pay for an implant replacement if he made a mistake of fracturing the tooth.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired