Oral Surgery/To Extract a tooth or Not?

Question
FullSizeRender
FullSizeRender  
QUESTION: Hi

I recently visited my dentist for a general check up and he has suggested the following

Surgical extraction and cleaning of the bony socket tooth 36 is indicated. I have no symptoms or any pain.

ROOT CANAL TREATED, NON VITAL ELEMENTS :36 , WITH APICAL PATHOLOGY,INDICATIVE OF ABSCESS FORMATION, OR A CHRONICALLY PRESENT CYSTIC LESION.
( when looking at the x ray it is the large white area on the bottom right side)

Extraction of a tooth seems quite drastic. I have no idea what I'm looking at on the x ray, so don't know if this is in fact true and if i should have the tooth extracted.

Many thanks for your help. Sacha

ANSWER: Sacha - I can't be sure what that area is without testing you, but I suggest that you see a root canal specialist.  It does not look like an infection, a reason for root canal treatment.  I agree with you that the extraction of the tooth does sound drastic.

So look for a root canal specialist (endodontist) for an evaluation to determine if the tooth actually needs root canal treatment.  

QUESTION: Thank you for your response. The tooth has already had root canal treatment on it about 10 years ago. The dentist is saying that there is a abscess forming which is why he believes it should come out.

Answer
There are two options.  The tooth can be saved with a procedure called an apicoectomy.  If not an exraction would cure the problem.  Are you having symptoms of pain with that tooth or throbbing?  The infected area is quite small and if you are having no pain, I would suggest that the area is just watched at this time to see if it expands.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired