Oral Surgery/putrid smell around base of implant

For years I had a putrid rotten tooth that had many procedures before I finally asked that it be pulled and I be given an implant because I believed that my sinus was draining through the tooth and aggravating it over and over again.  The tooth was taken out without any problems.  A bone graft was done, all without problems. The post was later put into place, also without problem.  Several doctors at Tufts said that I did not need a sinus lift.  Then, finally, the last phase was completed for this implant nearly a year ago.  

After eleven months, I noticed a putrid odor from the base of the tooth when I flossed, but I was unable to contact the dentist as I was leaving for Spain. At first, I thought it was just food getting trapped under the crown, but as I also had a sinus infection, I wondered if the old problem had restarted.  I am flossing a lot more often--five times or more a day, and rinse with mouth wash, but it's four weeks after I detected the putrid odor, and the problem has not abated, but the sinus headache is long gone.  There is no swelling, nor pain.   Do I need antibiotics?  I can get them over the counter here,  in Spain, where i'll be for another week and do not want to cause more damage.  What should I do?

Yes for the sake of not losing the implant, I would suggest taking Augmentine 500mg (spanish name for amoxicillin and clavulonic acid) 2 tabs am and pm until you get back home and have a cone beam CT done for diagnosic purpose and see whether or not you have sinus involvment.  

Oral Surgery

Chawket MANNAI, DDS,Ph.D Diplomate ABOMS

I am a US board certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon trained at UCLA and Parkland Memorial Hospital (Dallas) with more than 25 years of experience and will provide answers to all questions pertaining to the Oral& Maxillofacial Surgery region including Orthognathic Surgery, Trauma,TMJ, Implantology, tumour surgery (excluding cancer and Oral Dermatology),reconstructive surgery...

Extensive in all fields for the past 25 years hospital and office based.

American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons American College of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons British Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons

2006: Mannai Chawket Early implant loading in severely resorbed maxilla using xenograft, autograft, and platelet-rich plasma in 97 patients. Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery : official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 2006;64(9):1420-6. Bayonne, France. 1998: Bell W H; Mannai C [An interview with Dr. W.H. Bell and Dr. C. Mannai. Interview by Colette Orival-Demange.] L' Orthodontie franšaise 1998;69(1):225-9. 1988: Abemayor E; Zemplenyi J; Mannai C; Webb D J; Canalis R F The fixation of malar fractures with the transnasal Kirschner wire. The Journal of otolaryngology 1988;17(4):179-82. Division of Head and Neck Surgery, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Torrance 90509. 1988: Wald R M; Abemayor E; Zemplenyi J; Mannai C; Lesavoy M A The transoral treatment of mandibular fractures using noncompression miniplates: a prospective study. Annals of plastic surgery 1988;20(5):409-13. Division of Plastic Surgery, Harbor/UCLA Medical Center. 1988: Di S; Bell W H; Mannai C; Seale N S; Hurt W C; Taylor J; Waite D E Long-term evaluation of human teeth after Le Fort I osteotomy: a histologic and developmental study. Oral surgery, oral medicine, and oral pathology 1988;65(4):379-86. Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, Dallas. 1988: Bell W H; Mannai C; Luhr H G Art and science of the Le Fort I down fracture. The International journal of adult orthodontics and orthognathic surgery 1988;3(1):23-52. 1986: Mannai C; Schwartz H C Juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma presenting as a facial swelling. A case report. Journal of maxillofacial surgery 1986;14(6):329-31. 1986: Mannai C; Leake D; Pizzoferrato A; Ciapetti G; Sangiorgi C Histologic evaluation of purified bovine tendon collagen sponge in tooth extraction sites in dogs. Oral surgery, oral medicine, and oral pathology 1986;61(4):315-23.

DDS,Ph.D Fellow and Diplomate American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Residency training:Harbor-UCLA MedicalCenter 1982-1985 Fellow OMFS Parkland Memorial Hospital Dallas Texas with William H.BELL