Oral Surgery/putrid smell around base of implant

Question
For years I had a putrid rotten tooth that had many procedures before I finally asked that it be pulled and I be given an implant because I believed that my sinus was draining through the tooth and aggravating it over and over again.  The tooth was taken out without any problems.  A bone graft was done, all without problems. The post was later put into place, also without problem.  Several doctors at Tufts said that I did not need a sinus lift.  Then, finally, the last phase was completed for this implant nearly a year ago.  

After eleven months, I noticed a putrid odor from the base of the tooth when I flossed, but I was unable to contact the dentist as I was leaving for Spain. At first, I thought it was just food getting trapped under the crown, but as I also had a sinus infection, I wondered if the old problem had restarted.  I am flossing a lot more often--five times or more a day, and rinse with mouth wash, but it's four weeks after I detected the putrid odor, and the problem has not abated, but the sinus headache is long gone.  There is no swelling, nor pain.   Do I need antibiotics?  I can get them over the counter here,  in Spain, where i'll be for another week and do not want to cause more damage.  What should I do?

Answer
Yes for the sake of not losing the implant, I would suggest taking Augmentine 500mg (spanish name for amoxicillin and clavulonic acid) 2 tabs am and pm until you get back home and have a cone beam CT done for diagnosic purpose and see whether or not you have sinus involvment.  

Oral Surgery

Chawket MANNAI, DDS,Ph.D Diplomate ABOMS