Oral Surgery/TMJ?

Question
I am a 60 year old female.  Three months ago, I had an MRI which confirmed that I have bone spurs, disc fragments and flattening of the condyle in the left TMJ.  The right TMJ is fine.  For the past 6 months, I have been experiencing muscle spasms, grinding, crepitus and intermittent sharp pain on the left side of my face.  I also have signifant osteoarthritis, narrowing of the neural foramin and bulging discs in my cervical spine. I don't actually have pain in temporal mandibilar joint but a lot of discomfort in the temporalis tendon and that annoying clicking and grinding when I chew or talk.  I want to avoid surgery due to the questionable results. Are there less invasive interventions that can be tried?  I have read that over time, the jaw can accommodate to arthritic changes. What are the odds that my jaw can accommodate?

Answer
Hello,
Eventhough the MRI shows all the deformities, it seems like the issue that is troubling you currently has a musculoskeletal source. For that I would visit a surgeon to fabricate a night guard. This is the most conservative non surgical treatment of choice.
Good luck!

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery