Oral Surgery/wisdom tooth pulled

Question
I had a wisdom pulled on monday, a large piece had broken off and the dentist said it wasn't worth saving. The extraction went very easy, the tooth was hyper erupted. Still in pain 4 days later. I feel like I have a ulcer on my tongue, its on the same side as the extraction. Also have thrush and I am taking amoxil. I feel like most of the pain is from the sore, most of the swelling around the extraction site is gone. But at times the pain is to severe to talk or eat and advil barely makes a difference. My dentist is out til monday, should I try have another dentist check it out? The dental assistant in the office suggested using Glyoxide and seeing if my regular doctor could call in a Nystatin rince. I've not had any bleeding from the socket since the day it was pulled. I do get a weird metallic taste in my mouth from time to time. And I have been doing salt water rinses, brushing has been difficult because I can't get my mouth open wide enough. Been doing only soft foods when I do eat and eating ice cream.

Answer
Anne -  of course it is a little difficult for me to be sure, but you could be suffering from a combination of problems.  The ulcer on your tongue could be from surgical trauma or it could have developed with stress to your body.  The fact that you have little soreness from the extraction site and yet a major soreness from your tongue could be from inflammation developing on the tongue and possibly the development of a condition call "dry socket".  

The first thing you must do is to have dentist evaluate you.  If it is a dry socket, a medicated packing is placed in the socket after irrigating the area.  This is repeated every day or every other day until the pain is gone and the condition has improved.  

On simple and good solution for the tongue pain and it helps in the healing process is for you to make a simple solution by mixing 1 part Maalox or Milk of Magnesia with 1 part children's liquid benedryl and half the amount water and swish it in your mouth, making sure to cover tongue.  Do not swallow.  This can be repeated every few hours.  Your mouth will get numb but that is normal.  

So get an evaluation appointment and begin the rinses.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired