Oral Surgery/Oral Frenectomy Question

I think I need a frenectomy because of how many times my teeto have cut it so I should just cut it it and get it over with by removing it but my question is, will I have the danger of swallowing my tongue and suffocating while I sleep?

Mario -  I assume you are taking about the lingual (tongue) frenum.  The cutting of the lingual frenum will have no effect whatsoever on the position or actions of the tongue.  So don't worry.  It will not cause your tongue to fall back.  So have it removed.

Any further questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC