Oral Surgery/Tooth extraction.

Dear Sir,

My wife is at 70 & she underwent Surgery for Narrow Angle Glaucoma & subsequent Phaco in BEs,before 10 years.Her Vision is fine,so far.
She has wisdom tooth at extreme back of right side.
It is slightly in bent osition & as there is no support at bottom,it is causing demage to gum & pain.
Detist advised to go for extraction & then filling after 20 days.
Sir,my question is whether it will cause any adverse effect on right eye.
Her RE is suffering of overfiltraction with IOP at 5/6mmHg.
Whether extraction of live tooth may result in any stress on her nerves.
I may add,on the same side,implant of one tooth is done by the same dental surgeon,on extracting decayed one causing frequent infection.
Your reply will be of great help to boost up her mood as feared of bleeding & any likely complication.
I request kindly respond.GOD bless you.
with warm regards,

Anil -  I fully understand your apprehension, especially with her history of developing an infection after having a decayed tooth extracted.  

First of all, a skilled surgeon should be able to extraction the wisdom tooth you describe without any problems, but the key thing is finding a skilled surgeon.  Many dentists attempt surgical procedures and many of their patients suffer from side effects of pain and infection.  The type of extraction, even on a 70 year old, is usually not risky.  Bleeding and infections can occur with any extraction, but a skilled doctor knows how to quiet the area after the extraction to prevent excess bleeding and reduce the chance of developing an infection.  So the key factor that you need to consider is not your wife's medical situation (you don't describe a major medical problem that would interfere with normal healing), but the skill of the doctor.  Make sure that the doctor is a member of the Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India.  That will give her a better chance to have minimal complications.

I wish her well.  If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC