Oral Surgery/Jaw,chin



Hello I have a protruding chin . A long v shaped jaw .i want it rounder the chin and jaw.some surgeons want to set it back or remove the soft tissue. But taking away my soft tissue leaves me with a recessive chin.it would look too far behind my nose. Some wanted to shorten it . How could I rounden it? Thank you

Jale-I see that there is a jaw discrepancy of the way the upper and lower jaws come together. There are a few different potential causes, but I would need appropriate
xrays of your jaws to arrive at a cause and method to appropriately fix the relationship of the upper to lower  

Better yet if you can tell me where you live I can give you the names of appropriate and some of the best surgeons who treat this situation. So get back to me and I'll soon send you names.  If you have additional questions, feel free to ask.

Oral Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.