Oral Surgery/Hemisection

Question
I had a Hemisection done to a tooth that was crowned and part of a bridge.What I would like to know is it customary to be told to come back for a follow up after a Hemisection of a tooth, or is it not necessary, the procedure was performed by an Oral Surgeon and he never mentioned to come back and I never thought to ask him.It has been 5 weeks since the Hemisection.

Answer
Tony -you are correct, that after the hemisection the oral surgeon should have followed you with a follow up examination. Not only that the area healed well, but that the remaining portion of the tooth was stable enough to support itself.  Without a follow up examination after a few weeks, the doctor cannot properly evaluate the extent of proper healing.

You should be followed.  The tooth's stability and the gum tissue around the remaining root need to be followed for a minimum of one year after the hemisection.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired