Oral Surgery/Swelling on once side of face 10 days after impacted wisdom teeth removal

Question
Hi Doctor,

I had a surgery to remove my lower two wisdom teeth 10 days ago. The removal on the left was a straightforward procedure. The removal on the right, though, ran into the complication of excessive bleeding that lasted close to an hour before they could finally stop it with a special gel. The process involved 'bone trimming'. The tooth was horizontally impacted and had to be cut into 4 pieces to be removed. My surgeon said that the teeth was removed completely.

10 days post surgery, the swelling on the left side of my face has completely subsided, but the swelling on the right side persists along with the occasional deep throbbing pain.The area of the wound is clean and there is no sign of infection.

This swelling has resulted in my face appearing noticeably asymmetrical and I am extremely worried that this may be permanent.

Can you please advise on the matter. Is it normal for swelling to persist for this long?

Answer
Praveen - sorry for this delay but I never received this question.

What you are asking about is a common complaint of extractions where there is excessive bleeding I initially and then it is corrected.  Blood and other fluids most likely accumulated deeper in the tissues.  You need to immediately begin warm salt water (teaspoon of salt in glass of warm water)in the area of the swelling for about 5-10 minutes a minimum of 4 times a day.  Ice or heat to your face will accentuate the swelling so don't put anything on your face.  So immediately begin the warm salt water rinses and you will see a slow decrease in swelling over 5-7 days.  

Try this and I think you will see and improvement shortly.\

Again, I am sorry for the delay in this answer.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired