Oral Surgery/Antibiotic and Extractions

Thank you in advance, I will be having # 2,3,4,18,19,20,29,30,31 scheduled for extraction inJuly pending authorization.

The last extraction 4 yrs ago I had an abscess and I was prescribed Clindamycin. I contracted c-diff which Clindamycin and many antibiotics are a problem. Lucky mine was dealt with one round of Flagyl.

I have no contact with my oral surgeon except for the day of surgery. My question "Is it routine to prescribe antibiotics for multi extractions" I understand after he gets in and finds something it is a must. BUT there is so much information online about most all antibiotics as a cause of c-diff. I have bought the saccharomyces boulardii and probiotics in case. Facing this is torture for me as c-diff isn't something you ever want to experience.

Thank You

Mary - Unless the doctor finds that there is a non-contained infection spreading into the surrounding tissues and bones, associated with the teeth for extraction, there is no reason to prescribe an antibiotic.  Another reason would be if you have a medical condition that affects your immunity and overall health.

So I would suggest that no antibiotics be prescribed unless an extensive infection is found during the extractions.

It is important that the doctor doing the extractions is well trained and understands bacterial influence.  The doctor should be a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to do the extractions.

I wish you well and hope it all goes well.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC