Oral Surgery/Antibiotic and Extractions

Question
Thank you in advance, I will be having # 2,3,4,18,19,20,29,30,31 scheduled for extraction inJuly pending authorization.

The last extraction 4 yrs ago I had an abscess and I was prescribed Clindamycin. I contracted c-diff which Clindamycin and many antibiotics are a problem. Lucky mine was dealt with one round of Flagyl.

I have no contact with my oral surgeon except for the day of surgery. My question "Is it routine to prescribe antibiotics for multi extractions" I understand after he gets in and finds something it is a must. BUT there is so much information online about most all antibiotics as a cause of c-diff. I have bought the saccharomyces boulardii and probiotics in case. Facing this is torture for me as c-diff isn't something you ever want to experience.

Thank You
Mary

Answer
Mary - Unless the doctor finds that there is a non-contained infection spreading into the surrounding tissues and bones, associated with the teeth for extraction, there is no reason to prescribe an antibiotic.  Another reason would be if you have a medical condition that affects your immunity and overall health.

So I would suggest that no antibiotics be prescribed unless an extensive infection is found during the extractions.

It is important that the doctor doing the extractions is well trained and understands bacterial influence.  The doctor should be a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to do the extractions.

I wish you well and hope it all goes well.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired